This blog post was sponsored by The Personal Barber. However, all views expressed here are my own and not those of the sponsor.
Experience to look forward to!
Right, so… I really enjoy shaving. From trimming to shaping, I find beard care the most fun part of the skincare routine. It’s like you never know how your facial hair will turn out in the end and that really excites me. *wheyyy*
However, it wasn’t like this all the time. Right up until the launch of Mr. Salt and Pepper blog, I struggled to find a beard care brand that would consistently give me a different but enjoyable shaving experience.
We live in an age where there are so many options available and it can be quite tricky for some to find products that would suit their own personal needs. But fear not, there’s a brand I’d like you to meet… *scrolls down*
The finest shaving products, delivered.
Recently, I’ve been introduced to The Personal Barber . They are a wet shaving subscription service based right here in the UK. Unlike any other shaving subscription service, TPB offers a completely different shaving experience each time. Their aim is to deliver better products, a closer shave and a more enjoyable service.
As someone, who always likes to try different shaving products, The Personal Barber is a great service as they provide new products to try with each new box (every 6 weeks). Therefore, you have the opportunity to explore a wide range of products and see what works best for you.
With every first box comes… A classic safety razor*, shaving brush, replacement blades, shaving soap and a few mystery products.
I personally think that a safety razor is better than most cartridge-based razors because you can get maximum control and smoother shave by using just 1 blade. Also, safety razors stood the test of time and they proved to work really well throughout the years.
The first box…
In my first box, I received all of the product mentioned previously, including a face scrub from The Bear Family and facial moisturiser from Raw Supremo. The Personal Barber box contains all the products you need to start your wet shaving routine.
For those of you who are not familiar with wet shaving…
Here’s my quick guide to make most of it using all the products found in The Personal Barber box:
- Prepare your brush – get a cup (or bowl) of warm water and let the shaving brush sit in it while you’re taking a shower. The shaving brush is cruelty-free as its made from synthetic brushes. Therefore, it definitely absorbs more heat and moisture from warm water than brushes made from real hair. It also has a lot of bristles which feel nice on the skin.
- Take a shower – use Face Scrub provided in your TPB box and apply on your face. Scrubbing the area you want to shave will reduce ingrown hairs and bumps. Also, it will raise your facial hairs as high above the skin as possible, making it easier to shave and avoid razor cuts. Mr Bear Family Face Scrub smells nice and exfoliates the skin (especially around the beard area) nicely – making it ready for the shave.
- Build a lather – after you’ve taken a shower, pour a little bit of warm water on top of the shaving soap. Wait for a second or two, so it warms up. Then take your shaving brush and lightly swirl it on top of the soap for a few moments. When you see the brush collect some of the soap, transfer the soapy brush to a shaving bowl and keep swirling to create a lather. Folk Sandalwood and Vanilla Shaving Soap lathers up nicely and provides a refreshing scent.
- Perform the shaving routine – the most important and exciting part! *yaaas* The shaver provided in my box is ‘non-aggressive’. Meaning, they’re perfect for those who are using safety razors for the first time. But note that each blade provides 3-6 close shaves. So, if you start feeling blade tugging or pulling your whiskers – change it. TPB provides two packs of blades in each box which should be enough for more than 6 weeks. *yay* Apply foamy brush on areas you’d like to shave and shave them using the safety razor. I’m absolutely living for that first shave using fresh blades. Honestly, I could do it every day! *word* The premium safety razor has a really nice grip to it, which I really like. Shave then rinse with warm water.
- Moisturise – last but not least, apply the moisturiser onto your freshly shaved areas to avoid any skin irritation. As someone who has very oily skin, I use very little of the Raw Supremo Supreme Smoother Moisturiser to hydrate my skin and get it ready for the day ahead. *werk*
The Personal Barber is a great wet shaving subscription service because you get everything you need for that close shave experience. I think every man should at least try shaving using a brush and a safety razor. It’s like the ultimate rite of passage for guys. Do you agree?!
*Use code PREMIUMRAZOR when signing up to the Personal Barber subscription to get a premium safety razor for just £10!
Have you tried The Personal Barber yet? Let me know about your own experience in the comments section below!